The internet provides invaluable and unparalleled access to a world of information. It also provides many opportunities for unethical and possibly illegal conduct such as undertaking activities outside of work responsibilities and sharing unauthorized software programs and files.
Employers typically implement internet use guidelines that carefully define how the resource is to be used. These are often signed by the employee with the acknowledgement that:
- the internet is provided for work duties
- access will not be used for fraudulent, illegal, harassing, obscene, indecent profane or intimidating purposes
- software will not be augmented with external program or add-ons
- software will not be downloaded and/or circulated unless authorized for use
- copyright and licensing requirements will be respected
- usage is a matter of public record and anonymity regarding usage cannot be guaranteed.