It is worth restating at this point some of the defining characteristics of a professional.
A true professional has:
- specialized knowledge and skills through focused education and work experience;
- a relationship of trust with clients or employers;
- an obligation to the public;
- membership in a legally-sanctioned professional body;
- a connection of mutual respect with fellow members of the profession; and
- a commitment to a Code of Ethics to ensure competence and conduct that ultimately protects the public from incompetence and negligence.